Friday, 22 May 2009

Holiday Weekend in Holland; Playing Go


Following on from the story about the Celtic Shirt ( - see below), here is a photograph that my Japanese friend sent to me with her wearing the shirt.
I've read that Mr Nakamura will (almost certainly) be moving back to Japan next month - in a small way in a few years time, this football-shirt may well become a "collector's item".



***

When I was in Glasgow last month, I visited the "Museum of Transport".
They have several examples of steam-trains and trams, and many examples of cars and motorbikes. They also have a "mock-up" of a Glasgow Metro train, and many models of ships.

I went there because the museum also has 3 Fire Engines, and my Father drove *2* of them during his career as a Fireman. 

My Father died 6 years ago, and his funeral was arranged by his second wife, without any input from my Father's side of the family.
She decided that he should be cremated, but I have no idea whatever happened to his ashes.
His death was not marked by any kind of headstone or plaque.
 - So strangely (and ridiculously !) enough ... one of the few things that I still "have" left from my Father is an exhibit of 2 Fire Engines in a museum.

It really wasn't possible to get a good view for the photographs of the 2 Fire Engines, and so I'll need your understanding here.






***

For years I've been trying to find the time to learn to play the game "Go".




I bought several books with information on the rules, and strategies, and I even joined a club a few years ago (for a few weeks ... before I gave up ... because I didn't like the "atmosphere" inside the club - the members of the club just didn't seem to be my sort of people ...).
From time-to-time, I play against a Go computer-program, but I'd really like to find a *human* to play against (or rather, I'd really like to find a *friend* to play against) - I still hope that I can find someone ... 

*

I have >150 books in my bought-and-waiting-to-be-read bookcase.

Today I read "The Master of Go" by Yasunari Kawabata: the book isn't my "normal" kind of book (because it isn't a crime-thriller), but I bought it because it concerned a championship game of Go. 
However, I am unable to "recommend" the book to you ... It's just too "formal", and the story is written in a *very* jumbled form.





This will be my next book: "The Hunter" by Asa Nonami ...



***

I've written about this before ... but the mother of a close friend of mine has struggled against cancer for the past 2 years. The Old Lady nearly died one year ago, but she found the strength/will to fight back. However she's been in-and-out of hospital for the past 6 months, and now she's been moved into the Intensive-Care Ward in her local hospital. My friend has now travelled to be at her bedside, because maybe this time, it *really* is "the end".

***





My Japanese lessons start again next week, with the "Summer Refresher Course".
Every year/month/week/*day* I think about spending more time on my studies, but there's *always* something else to do.

I'm afraid that in a few years time, I'll realise just what a "Great Opportunity" I missed when I didn't take my lessons seriously enough.
And then it'll be too late.

"Life isn't easy" ( - because I have too many different interests, and there are just too many thing to do/that have to be done). 
 
***



Every month I send money to a charity that is trying to bring democracy back to Burma: The Burma Campaign.

The actions and activities of the Army in Burma are truly despicable.

However it must be hard to find ways that punish the Junta in Burma, without causing too much pain for the Burmese people.

The 2 biggest problems (and possible solutions) to the political problems in Burma are the governments of China and Thailand.
 - Suffice to say, the actions and activities of these governments are also truly despicable.

If there's really a Hell, then the Generals in Burma will surely spend eternity in it when they die.

***

No comments: