Sunday, 19 July 2009

Helping other people


I've just finished reading the book "The River Ki".

Several years ago, I read the book "All she was worth" by Miyuke Miyabe, and I learned some new things that I didn't know about Japan in the 1990's.
In "The River Ki", I learned some new things about the position of the women in land-owning-families in Japan in 1880-1950. Suffice-to-say, their position was *not* an attractive one.
Just *when/why* did men get the idea into their heads that they were the "superior" sex ?
Is it just because they're physically stronger ??

***

The next book that I'm reading is "The Summer of the Big Bachi" by Naomi Hirahara.
The plot concerns an event that took place in Hiroshima in 1945, and the repercussions of the event as they "re-surface" again in California 50 years later.




***

After my friend Ruenkam died, members of her family went through her house to "sort things out". They found several "surprises", and they also found a video-tape that was made from a video-camera recording 13 years ago showing R and her family.
I spent Sunday afternoon trying to link together a video-recorder, a dvd-recorder, and a television, so that I could transfer the images from the video-tape onto a dvd. It took several hours before I worked out how to do it !
But *finally* I've done it, and I can now make extra copies for R's family.

- A good deed "done".

And if you haven't made a video-film of your family ... do it today/this weekend.
You'll regret it if you don't.



***

Shiba Inu puppy

I'm waiting to hear news from a friend before I can finish this story.



***

iTunes and iPhoto


***

Selling the house



***

Edinburgh Fringe Arts Festival



***

Stretching my back

***


No comments: