The emotional highlight of my holiday was when I became the "Guest of Honour" at a local Blind School.
(One becomes the Guest-of-Honour by agreeing to pay for lunch for 200 blind children).
I had the opportunity to talk to an 8 year old boy, who became blind when he was 4 years old, and who had been at the school for 2 years.
The boy was *full* of questions about me ( - he really didn't understand what a "foreigner" was), but he also had lots of questions about his school ( - what it looked like, how many people worked there, etc).
It was clear to me that the child was very "under-stimulated" - it was clear to me that he wanted to know about the things around him ... but no-one had the time to tell/explain things to him.
I was at the school for 90 minutes, and truly, for me the visit was heart-breaking.
I'm hoping to go there again sometime in the future ( - next year ?), but it really will be a *huge* emotional struggle for me.
Here is a photo of the lunch ...

***
Back soon ...
.
No comments:
Post a Comment