Monday, 21 July 2008

The Beginning of The End ? (A "Stiff Aorta Story")

.
I added these pictures a few days ago ... but I have been so busy with "Other Projects" ( = iPhoto on my Mac), and I didn't have time to come back and write the text !

Sorry ...

.

I didn't read many (any ?) books when I was a child; I read a little bit more when I was a teenager (principally Science-Fiction books written by Isaac Azimov).

I really didn't make any attempt to read "Classic [Children's] Literature".

I've now decided that I *should* start reading the "classic" English-language books that-*everyone*-should-have-read.
And so I'm now reading "The Picture of Dorian Grey" by Oscar Wilde - **a classic** !

Oscar Wilde's use of the English-language is "exquisite" !



.

I watched this movie recently.
Some parts of the movie were *excruciatingly* embarrassing, and I was regularly "cringing".
There are also some beautiful, emotional parts in the film that made me cry.
- If you get a chance to watch it ... "grab the opportunity".



.

I went for a general medical check-up 2 weeks ago, and I got the results last week.
There are only 2 major pieces of news: my red-cell-count is abnormally high (and there's no apparent reason for this), and my "Aorta" is becoming more stiff/less flexible.
The Aorta is the large artery leading away from the heart, and so it's quite an important blood-vessel.
The Doctor didn't have much imagination ... and so he blamed the amount of beer/cider/whisky that I drink. [ ... "You have to cut down on your alcohol-intake or you'll run the risk of *serious* heart-disease and death", said the Doctor ... ].

However:-
Q: Am I going to cut down on the amount of alcohol that I drink ?
A: No



.

The Doctor also tested my hearing during the medical check-up.
I can hear slightly less than an average person ... but he blames my age for this ( - thank goodness he doesn't blame the *alcohol* !).
However, I've decided to be sensible, and in the future I will use ear-protectors when I'm rehearsing with the band.
[There are 2 lead-guitarists in the band, and they are constantly competing with each other to be The Loudest - and so often my ears are "ringing" after a rehearsal. Hopefully this "ringing" wont happen again !].



.

For the past 23 years whenever I needed to get new glasses, I *always* asked a friend to come with me to the shop to (help me) choose the new frames.
2 weeks ago I decided to be "independent" ... and I *didn't* ask anyone to help me.
Yes, I know that it sounds unbelievable, but I feel that I've made an "important decision" by choosing my new frames ... by myself !
[You can be sure however, that my friends will think that I've made a stupid decision ! At least my "stupidity" will only be for 2 years- I always need to have new glasses every 2 years !].

Note: I wear glasses for 2 reasons: for "short-sightedness" (I cannot see things in the distance) *and* for "long-sightedness" (I cannot read the newspaper). For 38 years the short-sightedness of my eyes has been getting worse-and-worse, and for the past 4 years the "long-sightedness" has been getting worse.
However, there is a curious effect that happens when people become "older" ... their short-sightedness *improves* ! And this is now happening to *me* - I'm becoming "old" ( - see also the Aorta-story above).

Actually the stories about my Aorta and my short-sightedness have made me feel quite "uncomfortable".
I *really* am becoming "old".



.

I've had a credit-card for 25 years.

Last week I received my latest credit-card-statement, and for the first time in the 25 years, *someone else* has used my card-details (to buy something on the Internet) - I have been a victim of "credit-card-fraud".
Now I can *try* to get this fixed with my credit-card-company ... I don't know if this will be easy or hard.



.

(The situation with my friend hasn't improved ... Maybe we have "evolved" from "friends" into "acquaintances". Pity ...).




.

No comments: