Monday, 9 March 2009

A Japanese movie about a peculiarly Japanese situation


***

I hate "bullies".
Bullying come in many different forms: physical, psychological, ...
Sometimes it's one person, sometimes a group, and sometimes a whole society.
I hate them *all*.

I was only bullied a few times when I was at school, and once at university.
Since then I've done my best to make sure that it never happened to me again.
And I've also done my best to make sure that it doesn't happen to the people around me.


This evening I watched the Japanese movie "Bashing".
 - It concerns an extraordinary kind of bullying.

The movie tells the story of a small group of Japanese people went to Iraq in 2004; some went to help Iraqi children, some went as journalists.
At that time the Japanese Government had issued warnings to Japanese citizens to avoid going to Iraq.
The group had the misfortune to be kidnapped by an Iraqi militia, who demanded (among other things) that the Japanese Government remove its 550 soldiers based (at that time) in Iraq.
During their captivity they were threatened with being killed.
Eventually they were released, they returned to Japan, and all hell broke loose.
They were heavily criticised by the Japanese Government and by the Japanese media, and they were also ostracised by their neighbours and (soon-to-be-ex-)colleagues.

They are several sides to this situation.
But ***don't*** tell me that *anyone* has the "right" to bully these people.

Perhaps someone can tell me how many times senior politicians and civil servants have been threatened with being killed.
In fact there's more chance of politicians and (senior) civil servants in Japan becoming *rich* that there is of them being caught in a dangerous situation.
 - They should have some ****ing sympathy and understanding.

I would *love* to meet one of these Japanese bullies.
Who the **** do they think that they are ?
 - I wonder if, after 5 years, they *still* wake up every morning feeling "embarrassed" for their country.
What a "society".





***



No comments: